Motorcycle enthusiasts are becoming more prevalent every year, but unfortunately operating a motorcycle exposes you to accidents and severe personal injury. If you have motorcycle insurance, you will need to file a motorcycle accident claim. Massachusetts is a no-fault state, so if you are in a motorcycle accident, you must file a claim with your own insurance company first.
If you have just been involved in a motorcycle accident, time is of the essence. You need immediate and clear legal advice on how to file your insurance claim and how to receive the compensation you justly deserve. Injuries inflicted on you in motorcycle accidents can be severe, and even result in death or permanent disability. Your insurance company may cover some of the compensation you require, but not all. This is especially true if your injuries have been inflicted due to the negligence or fault of the other driver. As a motorcycle owner, you must understand the laws and insurance guidelines as they apply in your state.
In general, the time limit for making a personal injury claim after your motorcycle accident is three years from the date of the incident. This doesn’t mean that your claim must be finalized in three years, but that you, and your Boston motorcycle accident lawyer, must have begun court proceedings by that time, or your claim could be lost forever.
Also, if you fail to report an accident or file a claim with your insurance company, you may face legal penalties. These can even include the possibility of being charged with fleeing the scene of the accident. It’s also important to note, that just exchanging information with the other driver and not reporting the accident may give your insurance company the legal right to refuse to cover your damages at all!
Each accident and case are different, but the best legal path to follow, if you even are considering filing a claim, is to consult with a Boston personal injury lawyer experienced in motorcycle accidents. By doing so, you can ensure you have the proper legal guidance to not miss deadlines and to have the information you need to get the compensation to which you are legally entitled.
What Type of Injuries Could I Sustain In A Motorcycle Accident
Obeying the Massachusetts helmet laws can save your life, and the state of Massachusetts does require that all operators and motorcycle passengers wear a helmet. Unfortunately, even with proper protective gear, however, many motorcyclists suffer extremely serious injuries every year. Also, many of these injuries may not be symptomatic until months, or even years after your accident. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI’s), and spinal injury symptoms can be life-changing and are not always immediately evident.
Other examples of injuries you could sustain in a motorcycle accident are:
- Burn injuries.
- Various head and neck injuries.
- Broken bone injuries.
- Crush injuries.
- “Road rash.”
- Amputations and loss of limbs.
- Internal organ damage.
- Paralysis of all, or parts, of your body.
- Other catastrophic injuries.
Considering these facts, you can see that what may seem like a minor accident may have life-changing effects on your health months or years after your accident. By consulting with a Boston motorcycle accident lawyer, your case can be gone over in detail to make sure that if it becomes necessary to file a claim, that you are legally equipped to do so.
What Should I Do Immediately If I Have a Motorcycle Accident?
First, do everything necessary at the accident scene itself, and seek immediate medical assistance for yourself, and all injured parties. Your health is always most important. Then, call the police, never admit fault, and document all the information you can.
After that, you should.
- Immediately report the accident to your insurance company – You need to report the incident to your insurance provider, so they are aware that your accident occurred. You should do this as soon as possible. It’s important to remember you tell the truth and stick to the facts but it’s never in your best interest to assign fault to yourself.
- Avoid speaking with any other insurance companies – The other driver’s insurance company may contact you and ask questions. These individuals are skilled in what they do, and it is always recommended that you not talk to them until you have discussed the matter fully with an experienced accident lawyer.
- Gather all other documents necessary – Gather all pertinent documents related to your accident, such as insurance papers, your documentation from the accident scene, the police report, medical records, etc.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help Me After My Accident in Boston?
After you’ve had a motorcycle accident, you often struggle with painful injuries for months after your crash. Many times, this can also create a stressful financial situation at home. You could be unable to work, while medical and other bills continue to pile up. If someone else caused or contributed to your accident, then you shouldn’t have to manage the financial strain on your own.
Your Boston personal injury lawyer has a myriad of ways to help you, such as:
- Use their resources to do a comprehensive investigation to find out what caused your accident.
- Fully determine who is legally obligated to pay your damages.
- Protect you when the other insurance company tries to pin blame on you.
- Consult with experts to find out what your motorcycle accident case is worth in deserved and actual compensation.
- Professionally negotiate with the insurance companies to obtain the most compensation they can.
- Communicate and work on behalf of you, and your family, every step of the way.
Your skilled Boston personal injury lawyer can make all the difference in the world when it comes to winning the compensation your family needs and rightfully deserves.
I Do Have To File a Motorcycle Accident Claim, What Should I Do First?
Filing a personal injury lawsuit can be intimidating, but could be mandatory for your recovery and your families’ financial future. Also, the personal injury laws in Massachusetts are anything but simple, and you need someone who will fight for you and who is a leader in Boston personal injury law. The experienced and skilled motorcycle accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Joel H. Schwartz, P.C., will fight tirelessly for your interests, and those of your family. Consult with them first and get the compensation you need to recover and to provide for your family’s needs.