If you are lucky, you will never be involved in an auto accident. Unfortunately, this is something that happens to most people at least once in their lifetime. Below is an auto accident checklist that will help you best deal with this situation, should it arise.
- Receive medical care: One of the first, and most important, things to do following an accident is to receive medical care. Even if you feel fine, the adrenaline from an accident can mask more severe injuries. Make sure you collect all medical records, including medical reports and invoices.
- Collect all driver information: Make sure you exchange information with the other parties involved. This includes names, contact information, license plate number, and insurance company details.
- Gather evidence: If possible, take photographs of the accident including all vehicles and property involved. This can be useful in the future, especially if a lawsuit is filed. It can also be helpful to capture any video evidence, including the location of the accident or evidence of damages to the involved vehicles.
- File a police report: Obtain a copy of the police report, if one is written by a responding officer. In most cases, it is a good idea to report the accident to the local police.
- Identify witnesses: Witnesses may be helpful to your case. Did anybody else see the accident? If so, make sure you collect their name and contact information before leaving the scene. Again, this is essential for insurance and/or lawsuit purposes.
- Discuss the case with a lawyer: You may or may not decide to file a lawsuit to recover damages following a car accident. However, it can be helpful to discuss your case with a lawyer to consider your legal options. A lawyer will help you evaluate the available evidence and determine your best options.
While the above is very important, keep this in mind, you should receive immediate medical attention if needed. Don’t worry about following this checklist if you are injured. It is best that you receive medical attention first and deal with these details at a later date. In addition to protecting you and your wellbeing, receiving immediate medical care is important in demonstrating your injuries.
Being involved in a car accident, you are likely to feel overwhelmed and even scared. It can be difficult to remember which steps you should follow. If you are ever in an auto accident, go through this checklist one step at a time, while also focusing primarily on your wellbeing and safety. If you have any questions, you can also always turn to a lawyer for more information.
Work With a Local Car Accident Lawyer
Navigating a car accident can be confusing. The other driver may attempt to place some of the blame on you. The insurance company may try to minimize your damages. This is why it is so important to have a trusted resource on your side as you figure out the details. Work with a local Boston car accident lawyer who can help you navigate your case.