Pedestrian accidents often lead to some of the most severe injuries. Most pedestrian accidents involve a pedestrian and a motor vehicle driver. While it is the responsibility of the driver to always look for pedestrians, there are things you should and should not be doing as a pedestrian to ensure you are safe.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
While pedestrians have the right to use the roadways and sidewalks as a mode of transportation, it is important to take the steps necessary to remain safe at all times.
Here are a few of the things pedestrians can do to help prevent being struck by a motor vehicle:
- Increase visibility when possible. This can include carrying a flashlight when walking at night or wearing bright-colored clothing with reflectors.
- Cross the street at a designated intersection or crosswalk. It may cut off a few seconds of your commute time to jay-walk, but it is much more dangerous.
- Walk on a sidewalk as opposed to the road, when possible. Drivers who are not paying attention can easily hit a pedestrian who is on the road.
- Follow all traffic signals. Being aware of the traffic signals and laws of the road can also help you stay safe.
- Look for parked or stopped cars: It is important to not only look out for driving vehicles but also ones that are parked or stopped. They can open their doors, hitting you.
- Watch for turning traffic. Pedestrians are at an increased chance of being hit when vehicles are turning.
- Keep kids close. Kids do not always know the dangers of being too close to the road. If you are walking with kids, have them walk on the inside toward the sidewalk.
- Avoid distractions: Distractions, such as using your phone or talking with friends, is dangerous as a pedestrian.
Unfortunately, even when following these tips, there are times when a pedestrian accident cannot be avoided. Instead, a driver makes a poor decision, such as texting and driving, which causes an accident.
This mistake can change your life. It can lead to painful injuries and time off from work.
What to Do Following a Pedestrian Accident
It can also be helpful to know how to react if you are involved in a pedestrian accident. The first thing to do is to receive medical care. From here, reach out to a lawyer to discuss your options. If you are left to deal with expensive medical bills and lost wages, your pedestrian accident lawyer may be able to get you the compensation you need to help cover these costs.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, our website shares a variety of information on the steps to take, your legal rights, and more.