Is It Possible to Sue a Government Agency for an Accident in MA?Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.

Is It Possible to Sue a Government Agency for an Accident in Massachusetts?

It may surprise you to find out that if you were the victim of an accident in which the liable party was a government entity, you still have the right to file a claim for compensation. However, to get the best results, there are a few things you’ll need to know in advance.

Time Is of the Essence

First and foremost, you’ll need to ensure that you follow the proper timeline. Otherwise, your claim will be denied before you’ve even begun. In the state of Massachusetts, the statute of limitations on filing a personal lawsuit against the government is normally three years, although there are a few additional steps you must take that have much shorter time constraints.

First, you will need to submit an intent to file a personal injury claim no more than thirty days after your accident. Additionally, you must file an official claim within at least two years.

You Can’t Proceed Until You’re Approved

Although there are time restrictions for how long you have to file your injury claim, no proceedings can take place if the claim is denied. Filing an official complaint won’t be allowed until your written claim of damages has been approved. Generally, if you have not received a denial within six months of submission, you and your attorney can move forward with the proceedings.

There Are Certain Steps You’ll Need to Take

Unlike a civilian-against-civilian personal injury claim, the steps involved in filing a lawsuit against a government agency are much more intricate and complicated. To ensure that you don’t make any mistakes and jeopardize the legitimacy of your claim, you’ll want to hire a seasoned, qualified lawyer to help you through the proceedings.

There Are Limits to What You Can Be Compensated For

Massachusetts has a limitation on the compensation the government is willing to pay in personal injury cases against government agencies. When it comes to public employees, the cap is set at $100,000 per plaintiff. Additionally, you will be unable to receive punitive damages or interest payments when you file against a public employee.

Hire a Boston Personal Injury Lawyer for Success

Although they are complicated, lawsuits against government agencies can be made easier with the help of a highly trained and qualified attorney. If you are ready to discuss your accident and want to move forward with the legal process, Joel H. Schwartz, PC is here for you.

Give us a call at 1-800-660-2270 to discuss scheduling a free consultation. You can also reach us online using our contact form at the bottom of the page.

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.